Sunday, June 14, 2015

Reflecting on Reflections: On Meditating on Whatever Provokes Resentment


I read the commentaries as always this week, both the one on UnfetteredMind.org and the Tricycle piece. They both confirmed the meaning behind this gut-punch slogan, but I'm going to move away from my usual treatment of these tenets because this one is so very close to my heart.
Always meditate on whatever provokes resentment.
I don't remember where or even when I realized that my anger/resentment/etc. (you can substitute any negative emotion here) was always more about me than about the person who was provoking it, but I know it's been at least a decade. It is always a reflection of something about me.


The thing is, it's so much easier to be mad at someone else. It means we don't have to change anything about ourselves. There is a particular thing in my life right now that is bringing up a lot of resentment and I've been trying to parse the situation into its components. I've also been avoiding practicing sending and receiving with this situation, but I'm going to take this new tenet as a signal that it's time to get to it.

So, that's what I'll be working on. Until next time, namaste and all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment